Caron International Simply Soft Tweed (3oz/85g, 150yds/137m, 98% Acrylic, 2% Nylon):
#0010 Black (MC), 7 (7, 8) skeins
#0009 Violet (CC), 6 (6, 7) skeins
USM/ISM KP#2.5, or appropriate tension setting to obtain gauge
Suitable for USM/ISM/Bond Classic or 6.5 to 9mm knitting machine
Waste yarn (WY); transfer tool; crochet hook size US H-8 (5 mm) for pockets; yarn needle; ten buttons; sewing needle and matching thread
In Stockinette stitch, using KP#2.5, 17 sts and 23 rows = 4”/10 cm
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit side = RS; single crochet (sc); duplicate stitch
Stripe Sequence: In Stockinette stitch, work * 18 rows MC, 18 rows CC; repeat from * throughout.
(84, 87, 91)
- Using open CO Method and WY, CO 84 (87, 91) sts. COR. Work 6 R. Set RC=000.
- Hem: Join MC. K 6 R and convert last R to purl (for turning row). K 6 R. Using transfer tool, lift sts from first row up onto the ndls. K 1 R slowly. RC=013. Reset RC=000.
- Beg Stripe Sequence. Work additional 12 R MC and change to CC. Work in Stripe Sequence until a total of 12 stripes are completed. RC=210. Reset RC=000.
- Shape Armhole: BO 4 sts at beg of next 2 rows. Dec 1 st ea side EOR 8 (9, 9) times – 60 (61, 65) sts remain.
- Work even until RC=050 (050, 052).
- Shape Shoulders: BO 8 (8, 6) sts beg next 2 (2, 6) rows, then 9 (9, 0) sts beg foll 2 (2, 0) rows.
- BO 26 (27, 29) rem sts for back neck. RC=054 (054, 058).
- Using open CO Method and WY, CO 41 (42, 44) sts. COR. Work 6 R. Set RC=000.
- Work as for Back to beg of Armhole shaping.
- Shape Armhole as for Back; AT THE SAME TIME, beg Neck shaping.
- Shape Neck: Dec 1 st at neck edge on next row, then 1 st every 4 (4, 3) rows 11 (11, 1) time(s), then 1 st every 0 (0, 4) rows 0 (0, 11) times.
- Shape Shoulder as for Back.
- COL. Rev shaping for opposite Front.
- Using open CO Method and WY, CO 54 (55, 57) sts. COR. Work 6 R. Set RC=000
- Hem: Work as for Back. Reset RC=000.
- Work 6 (8, 12) more rows MC and then cont in Stripe Sequence, beg CC.
- Shape Sleeve: Inc 1 st ea side every 22 (18, 18) rows 3 (4, 2) times, then every 0 (0, 19) rows 0 (0, 2) times – 60 (63, 65) sts. Work even until RC=098 (100, 104).
- Shape Cap: BO 4 sts beg next 2 rows. Dec 1 st ea side ER 2 (4, 4) times, then 1 st ea side EOR 14 (11, 12) times, then 1 st ea side ER 2 (4, 4) times.
- BO rem 16 (17, 17) sts. RC=132 (132, 138).
POCKETS (make 2)
- Using open CO Method and WY, CO 34 sts. COR. Work 6 R. Set RC=000
- Hem: Work as for Back. Cont in MC until RC=030. BO.
- Add 2 rows sc to top edge for stability.
- Optional: Add duplicate st letter, using CC, if desired.
BUTTON BAND (self faced)
- Measure from center back neckline to lower edge of left Front. (Your RC count will equal this times 5.75.)
- Using closed CO Method, CO 13 sts. COR. Set RC=000.
- Work to RC measurement in Step 1.
- Pin band to left Front; mark desired button placement, beg 1/2" down from neck shaping.
BUTTONHOLE BAND (self faced)
- Work as for Button band, adding eyelet buttonholes where marked, counting rows between buttons as follows:
- Make eyelets by transferring sts on ndls 4 and 10 to ndls on the right. Put empty ndls in FWP. Put all ndls in WP on next row and cont until next desired buttonhole.
- Block pieces to measurements, if desired.
- Sew shoulder seams. Set in sleeves; sew side and sleeve seams.
- Baste pockets in desired position and sew in place.
- Seam Front bands at center Back; sew bands in place.
- Tack facing to wrong side.
- If desired, overcast buttonholes together, using sewing needle and matching thread.
- Sew on buttons.
- Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
projects for the Ultimate Sweater Machine!