Ultimate Sweater Machine®
Afghan: Caron Internationals Wintuk (100% acrylic)
100g/3.5-oz pull-skeins, 7 skeins #3002 Off White (MC); Victorian
Gold Christmas Yarn, 1 skein each #1950 Cranberry (color A) &
#1951 Balsam (color B); Grandmas Best Crochet Thread #504
Black (color C); 2 skeins 6-strand silver metallic embroidery floss
(color D), separated into 6 strands; 1 yd lightweight iron-on interfacing
for knits; fabric glue or hand sewing needle and dark green and
burgundy sewing thread; permanent ink pen; K crochet hook; Magicord® Machine, spool knitter or (optional) #H crochet hook; fabric scissors;
if hand knitting, 1 pair #8 hand knitting needles (or size to achieve
Gold Christmas Yarn, 1 skein #1951 Balsam; 1 bag polyester fiberfill;
if hand knitting, #8 circular hand knitting needle, any length.
16sts x 23 rows over stockinette stitch = 4" Keyplate #3 or
#8 handknitting needle.
SPECIAL TECHNIQUES USED
(Sweater Machine knitters only): Sew-as-you-go.
SPECIAL TECHNIQUES USED (all knitters): backwards crochet,
eyelet stitch, appliqué.
SWEATER MACHINE KNITTERS: Number of needles required: 50;
helpful: 1 claw weight
HAND KNITTING INSTRUCTIONS
1. With MC, cast on 150 sts and work in st st until piece measures
12", ending wrong side.
2. Work 1 row eyelet stitches: knit 1, *yo, k2tog* Repeat bet *s,
ending knit 1.
3. Continue in st st until piece measures 12" above eyelet
4. Repeat eyelet row (Step 2).
5. Repeat Step 3.
6. Repeat Steps 4 & 5 until there are a total of 4 eyelet rows.
7. Repeat Step 3 & bind off across.
8. Place marker at 50 sts and 100 sts in from one side to separate
the afghan into thirds.
Stars & Trees
1. Stars: With Color A, cast on 40 sts & work in st st until
piece measures 20". Bind off across.
2. With Color B, cast on 80 sts & work in st st until piece
measures 24". Bind off across.
SWEATER MACHINE KNITTING
1. With closed-edge, CO 50 sts.
2. K 62 R.
3. Work 1 R eyelets on every other stitch across row.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until there are a total of 4 eyelet rows.
5. K 62 R & BO across.
6. Make second panel as for first, attaching first to second using
the sew-as-you-go technique,
7. Repeat Step 6 for third panel.
Stars & Trees
1. Stars: With WY, CO 40 sts & K 4 R. Change to color A &
K 116 R. Break off. K 4 R WY & remove from machine.
2. Trees: With WY, CO 80 sts & K 4 R. Change to color B &
K 138 R. Break off. K 4 R WY & remove from machine.
HAND AND SWEATER MACHINE
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINISHING
1. Pin the iron-on interfacing to the wrong side of the knitted
length for the Stars and lightly press to adhere.
2. Repeat adhering the interfacing for the knitted piece for the
3. Trace the images on this page for the Star and the Tree onto
separate sheets of paper.
4. On the interfacing side of the knitted lengths and using the
permanent ink pen, trace around the star twice and around the tree
5. Cut out the Star and Tree appliqués and, using the chart
as a guide, glue or sew the appliqués to the afghan, turning
the direction of the knitting for interest.
6. Border of appliqué: holding 1 strand of color C and 1
strand color D together, knit (on the Magicord or spool knitter
or crochet with the H hook) a cord that is 30" long for each
star and 22" long for each Tree.
7. Sew or glue the cording around the edge of the appliqué
to cover the raw edge.
Border of afghan: Holding 3 str of MC tog and using K crochet hook,
work one row of backwards crochet around entire edge of afghan.
HAND KNITTING INSTRUCTIONS: Make 2
1. With color B, cast on 16 sts
2. Work in st st, following Pillow Chart.
3. Make I-cord: using circular needle, cast on 4 sts.
4. Slide sts to opposite side and knit 4.
5. Repeat Step 4 until there is 46" of knitted cord.
6. Work 1 row eyelet stitches: knit 1, *yo, k2tog*
SWEATER MACHINE KNITTING
INSTRUCTIONS: Make 2
1. With color B, closed-edge CO 16 sts.
2. Follow Pillow Chart until complete.
3. Using color B, make I-cord (use claw weight instead of hem):
closed-edge CO 4 sts.
4. Lift KP up and slide carriage to opposite side.
5. K across.
6. Repeat Steps 4 & 5 until knitted cord measures 46".
FINISHING (Hand & Sweater
Sew edges of pillow together, leaving a 5" opening to stuff.
Stuff with fiberfill to desired thickness. Sew opening closed. Using
hand sewing thread, sew I-cord around edge of pillow.