Caron International's Simply Soft Shadows (100% acrylic; 3 oz/85g, approx 150 yds/137m):
6 (7) balls #0007 Mardi Grey
one pair each sizes US 6 and 8 (4 and 5mm) knitting needles, or size to obtain gauge
one size US 6 (4mm) circular needle, 29" or 36” long
tapestry needle (tn)
In Stockinette st, using #2 keyplate, 17 sts and 23 rows = 4”/10 cm.
Stockinette st (St st): Knit all sts on RS, purl all sts on WS.
2 x 2 Rib (multiple of 4 sts + 2 - cuffs; multiple of 4 sts - edging):
Drop down and convert 2 sts of every 4 to create a knit 2, purl 2 rib.
Note #1: ribbing is knitted in 2 sections of 100 (108) needles each.
Note #2: ribbing can be hand knitted and grafted onto finished shrug if desired.
NOTE: Shrug is worked straight (back and forth), from Cuff to Cuff; Rib Edging is picked up and worked circular in 2 x 2 rib after assembly.
- CO with WY CO 42 (46) sts.
- Inc 1 st each side this row, then every 5 rows 23 (26) times—90 (100) sts.
- Place a marker (pm) each side for end of Sleeves. RC = 000.
- Continue in St st until RC = 110 (120).
- Pm each side for beg of rem Sleeve.
- Dec 1 st each side this row, then every 5 rows 23 (26) times—42 (46) sts rem.
- Work 2 x 2 rib; work even for 18R.
- Bind off in backstitch.
- Pick up sts at opposite cuff & work 2 x 2 rib as for cuff just completed.
FINISHING: Fold piece in half lengthwise, with Sleeve markers aligned.
- Bring forward 100 ndls and pick up as many sts across one side from marker to marker on opposite sleeve.
- K 20 R and convert to 2 x 2 rib.
- BO in backstitch.
- Repeat for opposite side.
Sew Sleeve and ribbing seams from cuff to lower edge of ribbing.
Using tn, weave in ends.