Ultimate Sweater Machine®
Brown Sheep Company Lamb's Pride Worsted (85% wool, 15% mohair; 4oz/113g; 190yd/173m): 2 skeins M-28 Chianti (A); 1 skein M-56 Clematis (B)Brown Sheep Company, Inc. Lamb’s Pride Handpaint Originals (70% mohair, 30% wool, 1.75oz/50g, 88yd/81m):
1 skein HP-90 Stormy Skies (C)
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: USM/ISM KP#3 and #4; one-prong transfer tool
GAUGE: Using KP#4 or appropriate tension setting, in st st with either yarn: 14 sts and 18 R=4"/10 cm
NEEDLES REQUIRED: 60
Stockinette stitch (st st): Knit side = RS
- COL. Using KP#3 and WY, CO 60 sts. K 6 R. Break off. Reset RC=000.
- Change to C. K 10 R.
- Upper edge: With transfer tool, pick up first loop of first R of C and hang on first ndl; rep from * across for rem sts/ndls [2 sts on ea ndl]. Reset RC=000.
- Change to KP#4 and A. K to RC=070. Reset RC=000.
- Change to B. K to RC=045. Reset RC=000.
- Change to A. K to RC=070. Reset RC=000.
- Change to KP# 3 and C. K 10 R.
- Upper edge: * Insert transfer tool 10 R down into first st of first R of C, place on first ndl; rep from * for rem sts/ndls [2 sts on ea ndl].
- K 1 R.
HANDLES (Make 2)
- Using KP#4, closed CO method and B, CO 7 sts. RC=000.
- K to RC=100.
- BO all sts.
- Using KP#4, closed CO method and B, CO 30 sts. RC=000.
- K to RC=35.
- BO all sts loosely.
- Using KP#3, closed CO method and C, CO 34 sts. RC=000.
- K 6 R.
- Shape Flap: Dec 1 st ea side EOR until 4 sts rem.
- Stitch pocket to one side of Tote, with lower edge of pocket 2” above beg of B section, centered.
- Stitch flap above pocket.
- Stitch handles to Tote, beg 4” below upper edge, and lining up with edges of pocket. Note: The center section of the handles will curl in when felted to form sturdy handles.
- Fold Tote in half, RS's facing; whip st sides tog.
- Turn Tote RS out.
- Bring bottom points of Tote up to where the colors meet and tack in place to form a gusset.
- It is strongly recommend that the Tote be placed in a pillowcase and tie it closed, before putting it into the washing machine.
- Set the washer to low wash and hot water.
- Add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid; run through wash cycle.
- Before water drains, stop machine and check Tote.
- Reset washer and cont washing, if necessary, until felted sufficiently, then drain and spin.
- Remove Tote from pillowcase.
- Dry Tote by placing over a form, such as a box of desired size and shape.
When dry, cut a hole in the flap to accommodate the button; sew button onto pocket opposite buttonhole.
projects for the Ultimate Sweater Machine!