MATERIALS / YARN
Caron® International's Simply Soft® (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m):
#9727 Black (MC), 3 (3, 4) skeins
#9701 White (A), 1 skein
#9742 Grey Heather (B), 1 skein
Caron® International's Simply Soft® Brites (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, approx 315 yds/288 m):
#9603 Papaya (C), 1 skein
MATERIALS / NEEDLES
Ultimate Sweater Machine®
One pair US size 7 (4.5 mm), or size to obtain gauge
One circular needle size US ( mm), " long
MATERIALS / ADDITIONAL
Crochet hook size US F/5 (3.75 mm)
Tapestry needle (tn)
ADDITIONAL / OPTIONAL
In Fair Isle pattern, 18 sts and 23 rows = 4"/10 cm
KNIT STITCHES USED
Garter stitch (Garter st): Knit every row.
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit on RS, purl on WS.
Fair Isle Patterns; Work in St st, following Charts.
CROCHET STITCHES USED
Single crochet (sc)
Tunic is worked in 4 pieces, Back, Front and 2 Sleeves; Yoke is worked on sts picked up around neckline shaping.
BACK and FRONT (both alike)
Using MC, CO 83 (91, 99) sts.
- (RS) Begin Garter st; work even for 4 rows, end with a WS row.
- (RS) Change to St st and begin Pattern 1 from Chart; carrying colors not in use loosely across WS of piece, work even until piece measures 21 1/2 (22, 22)” from beginning, end with a WS row.
- Note: Armhole shaping will not be completed on larger sizes before Neck shaping begins.
(RS) BO 4 (4, 5) sts at beginning of next 2 rows—75 (83, 89) sts remain.
- (RS) Dec 1 st each side every other row 7 (10, 12) times—61 (63, 65) sts remain after armhole shaping is completed; and AT THE SAME TIME, when armhole measures 3 (3, 3 1/2)” from beginning of shaping, end with a WS row; place a marker each side of center 27 sts.
- (RS) Continuing armhole shaping, if necessary, for your size, work across to marker; place center 27 sts on holder for neck; join a second ball of yarn and work to end. Working both sides at the same time, at each neck edge, dec 1 st every row 6 (7, 7) times, then every other row 6 (6, 7) times—5 sts remain each side for shoulder. Work even until armhole measures 7 1/2 (8, 9)" from beginning of shaping.
- BO remaining sts.
- Using MC, CO 47 (51, 51) sts.
- (WS) Begin St st; purl 1 row even.
- (RS) Begin Pattern 2 from Chart, centering pattern and changing colors as indicated; work Rows 1 – 17 once, end with a RS row. Cut colors B and C.
- (WS) Work 1 row MC.
- (RS) Change to Pattern 1 from Chart; inc 1 st each side this row, then every 16 (17, 12) rows 1 (3, 1) times, every 17 (0, 13) rows 2 (0, 4) times—55 (59, 63) sts. Continuing in pattern as established, work even until sleeve measures 17 (17 1/2, 18)” from beginning, end with a WS row.
- (RS) BO 4 (4, 5) sts at beginning of next 2 rows—47 (51, 53) sts remain.
- (RS) Dec 1 st each side every other row 7 (7, 8) times, every 3 rows 2 times, then every other row 6 (7, 8) times—17 (19, 17) sts remain.
- BO remaining sts loosely.
Note: Instructions are given for working the Yoke on Back and Front pieces separately, then seaming at shoulders. If desired, work Yoke with a size 7 (4.5 mm) circular needle after sewing shoulder seams. If working circular, pick up and knit 156 (162, 168) sts around Back and Front neck shaping; all rounds are worked with RS facing; work all rounds from right to left on Chart.
BACK and FRONT YOKE (both alike)
- With RS facing, using MC, pick up and knit 79 (83, 85) sts along Front neckline.
- (WS) Begin St st; purl 1 row even.
- (RS) Begin Pattern 2 from Chart, centering pattern and changing colors as indicated; work Rows 1 – 17 once, end with a RS row; and AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st each side every other row 8 times. Cut contrast colors.
- (WS) Using MC only, purl 1 row even.
- BO rem sts firmly.
- Block pieces to finished measurements, if necessary. Sew shoulder seams, carefully matching Fair Isle pattern.
- Set in sleeves; sew Sleeve and sides seams.
- With RS facing, using MC, join yarn with a slip st to right shoulder; ch 1, work 1 row sc around lower edge of Sleeve cuffs and around neck edge of Yoke. Weave in ends.
projects for the Ultimate Sweater Machine!