For the Ultimate Sweater
designed by Kathy Perry
Approx 60"/178 cm across top x 21"/53.5 cm (back seam)
(HINT: To make a larger shawl, follow directions using KP 3 or KP 3.5)
Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic, 6oz/170g, 315yds/288m):
Shown in: #0014 Pagoda 12 oz/343g
Printer Friendly PDF
USM/ISM KP#2.5 or appropriate tension to obtain gauge
Suitable for USM/ISM/Bond Classic or 6.5 to 9 mm knitting machine
NEEDLES REQUIRED 130
Note: Extension Kit required for this project.
230 seed beads (size 5/0)
Single prong transfer tool
3-prong transfer tool
Sewing needle and matching thread
Crochet hook I-9 (5.5 mm)
Beading needle or dental floss threader
In Stockinette stitch with KP 2.5, 17 sts and 22 rows = 4”/10 cm
NOTE: Shawl is worked in two pieces and joined at center back.
PATTERN STITCHES USED
Stockinette stitch (St st)
Beading with converted stitches: (See technique instructions)
Single crochet (sc)
Beaded Loop Stitch: *Slip a bead into place next to sc to be used. Insert hook into sc. Wrap yarn from front to back over index finger holding yarn. With hook in sc, grab yarn from behind finger and pull a loop through (2 loops on hook). Keep long loop on finger adjusting to desired size. Put yarn over hook again and pull through both loops. Repeat from * working in every sc. (NOTE: Length of loops can be varied as desired. Beads are worked on every other loop.)
BEADING WITH CONVERTED STITCHES PATTERN (See technique instructions)
- *Select 20th ndl, then every foll 20 ndls across row. Add bead to selected sts. Convert (re-form) sts on ea side of bead.
- K 20 R.
- Select 10th ndl, then every foll 20 ndls across row. Add bead to selected sts. Convert (re-form) sts on ea side of bead.
- K 20 R.
- Repeat from *. (NOTE: Use 6 beads on first beaded row, 5 on next two beaded rows, and 3 on last two beaded rows.)
SHAWL (first half)
- Thread 90 beads on 1 skein MY.
- COR. Using WY, CO 130 sts. K 6 R. Break off. Change to MY.
- Work Spiral CO with beads (neck and front edge): (See Spiral Bead Cast On technique.)
- K 1 R.
- Shape side: On RHS only, dec 1 st (use 3-prong transfer tool to move three end sts over one st) EOR 35 times.
- Beading: AT SAME TIME at RC=024, start Beading with converted stitches pattern (counting selected ndls from LHS.)
- Cont to shape side: At RC=069, on RHS only, dec 1 st (use 3-prong transfer tool to move three end sts over one st) ER 45 times.
- Work to RC=115 - 50 sts.
SHAWL (second half)
Thread 90 beads on new skein of MY. Start with WY and work second piece - shaping on LHS and counting selected ndls for beading on RHS.
- Sew pieces together at center back. Add 2 extra beads along back seam to fill in pattern if desired.
- Hem: Turn 1/2" towards knit side on top edge for a small hem. Tack in place with needle and thread.
- Crochet edge: Thread 50 beads on yarn and push beads back out of working area. With RS facing, work 1 row sc (no beads) on bottom BO edge. Make 1 chain stitch and turn. Using one bead on every other loop, work 1 row Beaded Loop Stitch.
- Weave in ends. Steam very lightly along top hem.
More projects for the Ultimate Sweater Machine!