For the Ultimate Sweater
designed by Kathy Perry
Small (Medium, Large, X-Large)
Bust 36 (40, 44, 48)"/91.5 (101.5, 112, 122)
Back Length 28 (29, 30, 30)"/71 (73.5, 76, 76) cm
Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein):
#9727 Black, 5 (5, 6, 6) skeins
USM/ISM KP#2.5, or size to obtain gauge
Suitable for USM/ISM/Bond Classic or 6.5 to 9mm knitting machine
NEEDLES (for bead work)
One pair size US 8 (5 mm), or size to obtain gauge
One circular needle US 6 (4 mm), 30" long - for neckband
Note: Circular needle is used to accommodate large number of sts on Neckband; work back and forth in rows.
Waste yarn (WY)
Crochet hook US size H-8 (5 mm) for edging
Needle and black thread (needle must be able to go through small beads)
Assorted small beads; beads will be strung on thread; yarn/thread are held together when working trim
Assorted larger beads (for belt); must have large hole to accommodate yarn
In Stockinette stitch, 17 sts and 23 rows = 4"/10 cm, using KP#2.5
In Stockinette stitch, 18 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10 cm, using larger needles
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit side = RS (machine); knit on RS, purl on WS (hand).
Garter stitch (Garter st): Knit every row (hand).
Single crochet (sc)
Beading Stitch (hand)
Note: Beads are added on WS rows, every other row, before every fourth st, staggered every other row, on Sleeves and Neckband; calculate how many beads are needed and string them on thread; keep thread attached to spool, and keep beads in a small bowl or plastic bag to prevent tangling.
Rows 1 and 3 (RS): Knit, using yarn only.
Row 2: Holding thread with beads and yarn together, * k3, slide a bead down to piece, k1 (the bead will be between two sts on the RS); repeat from * across.
Row 4: Holding thread with beads and yarn together, k2, * slide a bead down to piece, k4; repeat from * across.
NEEDLES REQUIRED 78 (88, 96, 104)
Neckband and all beading are worked by hand; Garter st edging may be worked by hand or machine as desired.
- With WY, CO 78 (88, 96, 104) sts. K 6 R. Break off. COR. RC=000.
- K to RC=092 (098, 104, 104).
- Mark both sides for underarm.
- K to RC=160 (166, 172, 172).
- BO 14 (19, 23, 27) sts beg next 2 rows.
- BO rem 50 sts for Back neck.
- Lower edging: Pick up 78 (88, 96, 104) sts from WY; work 4 R Garter st by hand, using larger needles or on machine, converting every other row.
- Follow steps 1 - 3 as for Back. RC=092 (098, 104, 104).
- Shape Neck: Place center 2 sts on WY—38 (43, 47, 51) sts ea side. COR. LHS ndls in HP. Dec 1 st at neck edge of next row, then EOR once, then every 3 rows 22 times. 14 (19, 23, 27) sts rem.
- K to RC=160 (166, 172, 172).
- COL. Work opposite side, rev shaping.
- Lower edging: Work as for Back.
SLEEVES (see schematic)
- With WY, CO 86 sts. K 6 R. Break off. COR. RC=000.
- K to RC=074.
- BO 34 sts.
- K to RC=086.
- Make a second piece in same manner.
- Make 2 pieces, working Step 2 to RC=073, (rev shaping).
- Sew one Back and one Front Sleeve piece together at shoulder (see schematic).
- Using larger hand-knitting needles, pick up all sts from WY and work 4 rows Beading st.
Using larger needles, cast on 36 sts.
(RS) Begin Garter st; work even for 4 rows, end with a WS row.
(RS) Change to Beading st.
(RS) Beginning this row, dec 1 st each side every 4 rows 6 times, then EOR 7 times, end with WS row—10 sts.
Note: Stagger beads every other row per instructions; this will mean adjusting the number of sts worked at the beginning of WS rows before the first bead, as sts are decreased.
Bind off all sts.
Sew shoulder seams.
With RS facing, using smaller circular needle, beginning at center Front, pick up and knit 56 sts up right Front neck shaping, 52 sts across Back neck and 56 sts down left Front neck shaping to center Front—164 sts.
(WS) Knit 1 row.
(RS) Begin Beading stitch; work even for 4 rows, end with a WS row.
Bind off all sts loosely.
Work 2 rows sc evenly around neck band, beginning and ending at center Front.
Sew ends of Band to bound off sts, easing to fit.
Assembly (See Schematic)
Work 2 rows sc along upper (long) edge of Inset, if desired.
Sew Inset in place.
Sew sleeve seams as shown on schematic; sew sleeves between markers, aligning Sleeve seam with shoulder seam. Sew side seams.
Work 2 rows sc along Sleeve edge as shown on schematic.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Add additional beads to upper edge of Insert, if desired, using needle and thread.
Cut 12 strands, approximately 80" long.
Leaving an 8" tail, tie a knot at one end of strands. Using 4 strands in each section, braid strands to desired length and knot the opposite end, leaving an 8"tail. Add larger beads to ends of tails ant various length, and tie a knot under beads to secure (see photo).