There are many flower designs that could not be created without rolled edges for the petals. The designs that utilize rolling edges result in very easy and quick-to-knit projects.
REMEMBER - When using rolled edges with Stockinette stitch the SIDES will roll to the PURL side and theTOP and BOTTOM edges will roll to the to the KNIT side. The designs featured in this Buzz use the knit side as the RS.
So let’s start with a flower...
designed by Kathy Perry
Approx 3 1/2"/19 cm diameter
Caron International’s Simply Soft Collection (100% Acrylic, 6oz/170g, 315yds/288m): ½ ounce.
Shown in #0015 Strawberry
USM/ISM KP#2.5 or appropriate tension to obtain gauge
Suitable for USM/ISM/Bond Classic or 6.5 to 9 mm knitting machine
One 6 or 8mm black bead
Small amount black yarn
Sewing needle and thread (for attaching pin back)
1-¼” Pin back
Helpful: Claw weights
In Stockinette stitch with KP 2.5, 17 sts and 22 rows = 4”/10 cm
Note: gauge is not critical for this project.
KNIT STITCHES USED
Stockinette stitch (St st)
NEEDLES REQUIRED 100
- Using closed CO method going L to R, CO 100 sts, leaving a 6" end of yarn. COR. RC=000.
- K to RC=009. COL.
- BO leaving long tail of yarn for gathering.
- Using small running stitches and the long yarn tail, sew in and out of the stitches along the BO edge and gather until that edge measures approx 5". Secure yarn and weave in end.
- Lay piece down with knit side up and the rolled edge on top, rolling down toward you.
- Arrange piece so knit side is facing you and with the edge rolling to the front.
- With short tail of yarn on top, work piece into a flower shape by turning the knitting in circles. Pull the yarn tail that’s on the top through the center through all thicknesses to the bottom. Secure yarn end and weave in end.
- Stamens: Cut black yarn into four 4” long ends. Knot the yarn close to one end. Thread tapestry needle with opposite end and weave through center of flower (using photo as guide) so that a ½” of yarn plus the knot show on the top. Make a second knot ½” from the flower and cut off yarn. Secure yarn stamens with fabric glue or sewing thread. Sew or glue bead to center of flower.
- Sew pin back to center back of flower or sew flower directly to a project such as a pillow, sweater, jacket or gift box. Be creative!